Black Star Forum
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment :
Funko POP! Jumbo One Piece Kaido Dragon Form : ...
Voir le deal

The Delfonics

2 participants

The Delfonics Empty The Delfonics

Message  Marvin Straight Dim 16 Sep - 17:30

The Delfonics were a quintessential Philadelphia soul singing group, most popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Their most notable hits include "La-La (Means I Love You)", "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)", and "Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love)".

Brothers William and Wilbert Hart formed the group with Randy (Rudy) Cain in high school in the early 1960s, eventually becoming known throughout the Philadelphia area by the mid-'60s and signing with Cameo Records. At Cameo, producer Stan Watson introduced them to producer Thom Bell, then working with Chubby Checker. Bell dreamed of creating a Philadelphia version of Motown and struck gold with the Delfonics, whose first album, released on Watson's own Philly Groove record label, featured the smash hit "La-La (Means I Love You)" in 1968. Four more Bell-produced albums appeared in the next few years: The Sexy Sound of Soul, The Delfonics Super Hits, The Delfonics and Tell Me This Is a Dream. Among the Delfonics' popular hits were the Grammy winning "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)", "(For The Love) I Gave To You", "Ready or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide from Love)", and "Hey Love". Prior to the release of "La-La (Means I Love You)", they had a hit with "He Don't Really Love You" on the small Moonshot record label in 1966.

Randy Cain left the group in 1971, and in 1973 had a hand in formulating Blue Magic, best known for their classic "Sideshow," when he brought singer-songwriter Ted Mills in to do some writing for W.M.O.T. (We Men Of Talent), and the remaining future members of Blue Magic came in for an audition. Cain was replaced by Major Harris; by then, however, Thom Bell had moved on to produce The Stylistics and later, The Spinners, all artists in the mold of the Delfonics. The Delfonics swiftly produced another album, Alive and Kicking, produced by Stan Watson. However, in the absence of Thom Bell, the Delfonics' career declined sharply, and with the exception of the aforementioned "Hey Love" and the minor hits "When You Get Right Down to It", "I Don't Want To Make You Wait" and "I Told You So", success eluded them after 1975. ("(For The Love) I Gave To You", although popular, was never released as a single.) Most of their songs at this point were written by lead singer William Hart.

Major Harris left and had major success with the song "Love Won't Let Me Wait". Wilbert Hart also left around this time, leaving William Hart as the only original member. New members were brought in, and the group continued for some time. The group then broke up and reformed with William Hart, Randy Cain, and Major Harris. (Wilbert Hart formed his own Delfonics group; the members were Wilbert, Eban Brown (falsetto lead), and Dr. S. Love.) Randy Cain left for a second time, and was replaced by Frank Washington of The Futures. By the '80s and the '90s, the Delfonics continued to perform, even providing backing vocals on the track "After the Smoke has Cleared", on the 1996 hip hop album Iron Man by Ghostface Killah. Their works continued to be sampled. Rapper The Notorious B.I.G. sampled "Hey Love" in his "Playa Hata" song released in 1996, and that same year rapper Nas had sampled their "Walk Right Up To the Sun" for his hit "If I Ruled the World." Rapper Missy Elliott sampled "Ready Or Not Here I Come" in her hit "Sock it 2 me." Eazy-E, Gang Starr, and Ed OG have sampled "Trying To Make a Fool of Me."

The current line-up of the Delfonics is William Hart, Garfield Fleming (baritone lead), and Johnny ("JJ") Johnson. Wilbert also has a group, sometimes called "The Delphonics", "The New Delfonics" or simply billed as "Wilbert Hart". Eban Brown went on to become the lead singer of The Stylistics, and Frank Washington is now the lead singer of The Spinners. The current line-up of the group is featured in concert on the DVD's "The Big Show" and "'70's Soul Jam," whereas Wilbert Hart's group is featured on the DVD "Old School Soul Party Live!," which was part of the PBS "My Music" series. Major Harris is also featured on the recently re-released DVD "Blue Magic/Margie Joseph/Major Harris Live!", which was recorded during their prime in 1975.

Discographie

 1969: La La Means I Love You
 1969: Sound Of Sexy Soul
 1969: Super Hits
 1970: The Delfonics
 1972: Tell Me This Is a Dream
 1974: Alive & Kicking
 1998: Back 2 Back: Delfonics and Chi-Lites
 1998: The Professionals
 1998: Greatest Hits & More
 1999: Forever New (Volt) (f. Wm. Hart-Major Harris-Frank Washington)
 2000: Didn't I Blow Your Mind
 2003: Delfonics Collection (f. Wm. Hart-Garfield Fleming-Johnny Johnson)
 2005: Love Songs
 2006: La La Means I Love You (f. Wm. Hart-Garfield Fleming-Johnny Johnson)
 2006: Delfonics R'n'B Soul (Direct Source) (f. Wm. Hart-Garfield Fleming-Johnny Johnson)
Marvin Straight
Marvin Straight
Admin

http://goodmusicmall.foroactivo.com

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

The Delfonics Empty Re: The Delfonics

Message  Silver Mar 2 Oct - 19:19

Franchement ce groupe m'intéresse vraiment,j'aimerais beaucoup écouter des sons à eux,va falloir que je m'y penche,j'en ai souvent entendu parler à travers le hip hop,notamment pour tout ce que des rappeurs comme Nas,Ghostface et autres,je pense même à Snoop et son Ballin' avec eux en feat,ont pu pomper comme sons chez les Delfonics...
Silver
Silver

Revenir en haut Aller en bas